- kiss of peace
- noun(Roman Catholic Church) a greeting signifying Christian love for those assisting at the Eucharist• Syn: ↑pax• Topics: ↑Roman Catholic, ↑Western Church, ↑Roman Catholic Church, ↑Church of Rome, ↑Roman Church• Hypernyms: ↑greeting, ↑salutation
* * *: a religious ceremonial kiss symbolizing fraternal unity and originating in the early church
* * *1. (in certain Christian churches) a ceremonial greeting or embrace given as a token of Christian love and unity.2. a ceremonial kiss formerly given, esp. at a baptism or Eucharistic service, as a token of Christian love and unity. Also called pax.[1895-1900]
* * *kiss of peace nounA kiss of greeting between the members of the early, and some branches of the modern, Church• • •Main Entry: ↑kiss————————kiss of peace see under ↑kiss• • •Main Entry: ↑peace
* * *kiss of peace,a ceremonial kiss signifying brotherly love; pax. The kiss of peace is given at Mass in the Roman Catholic and Eastern Orthodox churches.
* * *a ceremonial kiss given or exchanged as a sign of unity, esp. during the Christian Eucharist
Useful english dictionary. 2012.